My first attempt at getting Polycube compiling and running on an Arm-based single board computer had the compile part be successful, the running part was not. For that test, I used a Pine64 SOQuartz system on a module, which is pin compatible with a Raspberry Pi CM4. Using Plebian Linux, there were a number of hoops to jump through; not limited to having to
#include extra header files, compile certain pre-requisite libraries as well as including Debian packages from a few different versions of Debian.
But, compiling eventually succeeded, producing executables. Enter a Raspberry Pi CM4 running 64 bit Raspberry Pi OS.
The build process is more straight forward than with Plebian Linux. There is, however, still the need to use packages from several different versions of Debian. This is because Polycube depends upon older packages. These dependencies on old software and fairly brittle build pipeline really does hamper the use and adoption of Polycube.
After having what appears to be all the pre-requisite dependencies, the build ultimately fails on not finding a
struct that has not been declared.
I ended up having to get a particular version of
libyang; specifically v1.0.255. That got me past that error.
Following the rest of my instructions is more or less what I did to successfully compile
polycubed. This is where things end just the same as my attempts with a SOQuartz module: running
polycubed just hangs and does nothing more than consuming 100% of one core.